There are several key features that every blog should posses. I am going to outline some key elements that every blog must have:
Strong Engaging Posts
- Quality on page SEO – Optimized Titles, URLs, Headers and Content.
- A theme – your content and overall look and feel of your blog should all be around a similar topic. If you want to talk about your cat or how you helped an old lady cross the street, while that is very sweet of you, …um I don’t think anyone cares to follow that except a few of your close friends and family or unless you are a celebrity in which case you can even write about your bowel movement and people will still follow you.
- Write posts that draw in your audience and will get them to share your content. Writing information that is helpful will do that for you. “How To” posts are a great place to start.
- Post at least weekly and if possible twice a week.
- Pose questions at the end of your posts to encourage engagement and feedback.
- If you have a successful post follow it up immediately by posting another strong article.
Easy Sign up/Call to Action
- Give people the optionto sign up via RSS. You want to have that sign up above the fold
- Also give people the option to sign up via email. It’s old school but people still use it.
- Show people where else they can find you. While that may mean that they read your content elsewhere my school of thought is that they are at least still following what you write and will still share your content.
An Information “About” Section
- Make available a snippet of information through a sidebar or at least on your home page that gives your readers a glimpse as to the human side of your blog.
- Also have a full blown about page. This page can be developed over time and should be a kick ass glimpse at what makes you, you, and what your blog is all about.
- Highlight you best blog posts. Trying to find ways to keep people on your site? Give them easy access to your most popular posts.
- Find some cool wordpress plugins that sensible and work for what you offer. Here are some wordpress plugins that I think are key.
- Write up a post about someone else.
- Look for new ways to attract people to your site that will hopefully also serve as link bait.
- Whether your are setting goals for your social media strategy or your overall blog…have them be concrete and realistic.
- If you are trying to promote your services or you are selling something then track your leads.
- Consider getting comments as a possible goal/conversion measure.
A strong blog doesn’t happen overnight. You know the saying Rome wasn’t built…neither will your blog. For a lot of people it takes some time to find their voice. Once you do…keep at it.
What are some key elements that you employ on your blog? Anything you think that this list definitely should have?